[plug] re opening linuxconf

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Sun May 6 17:53:30 WST 2001

On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 02:21:26PM +0800, Beau Kuiper wrote:
> > >From memory, this is a few years ago, it was the upgrade from lib5 to lib6.
>
> No wonder
>
> libc5 to libc6 is really a new distribution job. all the other libraries
> depend on libc5 still, so when you attempt to build a new program that
> uses libraries other than libc, it will try to link to both libc5 and
> libc6, and it won't work.
> I imagine a packaging system which attempts to upgrade libc5 to libc6 will
> fall into the same hole, or have to upgrade every package on the system to
> link and use libc6, essentually a new distribution.

I know people who have used the same initial install of Debian from (at
least) 1.3 (libc5) through to 2.0 (and beyond) which is libc6-based
without any trouble.  Doing that sort of thing by hand is, as you
suggest, a complete nightmare -- I know some people who did that as
well.

There are some situations where installing by hand from source makes a
lot of sense.  But, for the most part, it makes a lot more sense to rely
on a well-tested and robust package management scheme.  To do otherwise
seems, at best, quaintly old-fashioned and, at worst, archaic and
fool-hardy.

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C