[plug] Odd cron happenings

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 12:55:46 WST 2001

Hi guys,

I have the following entries in /etc/crontab:  (sorry
about the formatting (blame Yahoo), I've put blank
lines between each "real" line, so there are 5 lines
total)

# Added for metadot web portal

0 2 * * * metadot cd /home/metadot/public_html/metadot
; perl metadotd.pl -o >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

45 * * * * metadot cd
/home/metadot/public_html/metadot ; perl metadotd.pl
-m -s > /dev/null 2>/dev/null

# First one updates once a day, overriding lockfile
(guaranteed update)

# Second one does normal updates every hour

Now the odd thing is that checking the timestamps of
the files they write (RDF newsfeeds), it appears that
only one of the cron jobs is running, and it's at 2:45
am.

Anyone like to hazard a guess as to how cron would be
getting this weird cross-syntax?

TIA
Andrew

=====
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?