[plug] re opening linuxconf

Steve Vertigan vertigan at bigfoot.com
Tue May 8 00:40:45 WST 2001

Christian wrote:

> On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 10:58:58PM +0800, Beau Kuiper wrote:
>
> > Robust? Please. RPM can't even handle dependancies in a sane way.
> > when you cancel an apt operation, it leaves its own database in tatters.
> As for dpkg/apt, you're right that it can't completely solve problems
> relating to user-error (and stupidity).  The only solution in your case
> would be to ignore your attempts to stop it.  But then, no doubt, you'd
> complain about this too.

Sorry I have to vehemently disagree here.  If apt behaves in the manner
described it's badly broken and should be fixed.  I send kill and
restart signals to processes all the time and don't expect to have data
corruption as a result of my 'stupidity'.  I expect the process should
do the minimum neccessary to avoid corruption and then quit because the
programmer followed proper procedure.  And who's fault is it if you get
a power blackout at that moment or someone trips over the power cord?
An example of more reliable behaviour is qmail's Maildir which involves
a tmp directory and making sure a duplicate file exists before removing
the first.

Admittedly apt has a difficult line to tread between being responsive to
user commands and finishing lengthy operations but surely it would be
better to
a) Download package X
b) Flag package X as being 'currently installed'
c) Install all files from package X
d) Update apt database saying package X installed

Obviously in some cases there are more steps between b and d relating to
user  interaction, compilation, etc but the base principle would be
sounder.  If a user interrupt is recieved at some point in c then finish
the current file operation then quit, next time apt is started it will
be noted that package X hasn't been properly installed and act
accordingly.

Regards,
Steve

--
FreeBSD maelstrom.dyn.dhs.org 3.4-STABLE i386
12:15AM  up 6 days,  7:21, 1 user, load averages: 0.68, 0.68, 0.41