[plug] [OT] transmeta based laptop (Sony VIAO)

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Mon May 14 00:01:51 WST 2001

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 11:28:31AM +0800, Jason Nicholls wrote:
> For people interested in the transmeta based Sony VIAO laptop.
>
> James Bromberger mentioned that it may be available in Australia so I
> took a look at their web site this morning:
>
> http://www.sonystyle.com.au/vaio/va_pts.cfm?secid=access&ProdID=PCGC1VM

I fogot to mention. Sony Central on Murray (three doors down from Fast Eddies)
have got one of these on display. Cute. Wide screen 1024 by 480 pixels.
Very clear screen frmo any angle. Lifetime of around 3 - 4 hrs on normal
battery, with an extended battery rated at around 15 hrs.

Comes loaded with WinME. It has 128 MB RAM, of which some 16 MB is taken up
by a memory resident driver that acts as some sort of driver; I think it
is to do with the cod morphing, etc. $3,800 or so. No on-board ethernet,
but like all the VAIOs, does have firwire, USB. One PCMCIA slot
(so you can put in PCMCIA ethernet/wireless eth/CD ROM/etc.

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.rcpt.to/~james

       * *  C u in Bordeaux - 1st Debian Conference, July 2001 * *
 Remainder moved to http://www.rcpt.to/~james/james/sig.html