[plug] Modem disconnects

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Mon May 14 20:01:43 WST 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Robert Andrews wrote:

> May 13 04:52:32 linux pppd[9070]: Hangup (SIGHUP)

Robert,
that means your modem gave up. After it happens, try talking directly
to you modem, using minicom or similar. Try ATI6 or other ATI codes to see
if you can get reason for last disconnect.
  It could be loss of carrier, failure to re-negotiate speed, ...
Usual cause is noise on the line.

> Does this look like it is being disconected by my linux box or is this
> what you would get when it disconects from either end thanks.

If the remote end boots you, there _should_ be a log message like
"connection terminated by peer". ie it closes the connection at the ppp
protocol level, rather than just hanging up.

--
Mike Holland  <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>
                          --==--