[plug] linux locking up

Alex Polglaze apolglaze at book-keepingnetwork.com.au
Mon May 21 07:29:58 WST 2001

> I've had this happen to me a couple of times in the last few weeks.
> Usually when running Netscape, although that might not mean much since
> I haven't used much else on this machine for the last few weeks. X
> locks up completely. The mouse is still visible and moving but nothing
> responds at all.
>
> I ctl-alt-F1 to log in as root and try to kill it but all I can do is
> type in root then enter and the password request never happens. I've
> tried all the consoles from 1 to 6 both as root and as myself but
> nothing. I have to turn off the power and restart.

I have exactly the same problem if I try and run Netscape. This has
happened after an upgrade of Mandrake. Also, if I try and logout of KDE,
any other program running on another console only accepts one more
command and then freezes. I can change consoles and I can issue the
shutdown command. It broadcasts the shutdown message and does nothing.
The power button is all that works even after several hours.

Alex