[plug] Apache & htpasswd

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Mon May 21 09:30:50 WST 2001

From: "Jason Nicholls" <jason at mindsocket.com.au>
> On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 05:39:03PM +0800, Brian Tombleson wrote:
> > Both the old and new server are setup to use this in the same way (the
> > htaccess), except that the new server does not verify any of the
> > username/passwords from the .htpasswd file copied from the old server.

<snip>
> If it's the second case (failing auth) then what does the error log show?

It's the second.  As I said, it's configured correctly (as far as I can
tell) and I can use the htpasswd utility to add new users that authenticate
correctly.

error_log entry:
[Sun May 20 10:08:59 2001] [error] [client 203.59.147.233] user junior:
authentication failure for "/restricted/toolbar_restricted.htm": password
mismatch

It is my understanding that the encrypted string generated by the httpd must
be using a different encryption method and therefore ending up with a
different string for what should be the same password.

I fear this might be a compile-time switch, but I can't find it.

There are too many users for whom we don't know the passwords so we can't
're-build' the htpasswd database from scratch.  The password we are trying
for 'junior' above is correct and we have tried for a lot of other users
that we know (recent additions that we have records for).  all fail unless
we specificalyl add them or change them under the new implementation.

Any more help greatly appreciated.

- Brian.