[plug] Apache & htpasswd

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Mon May 21 12:31:03 WST 2001

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 12:26:05PM +0800, Matt Kemner wrote:

> Give it a crack[1] anyway, I'd say there's a chance you'll get a very
> large number of them very quickly - because many people choose simple
> passwords when given the choice, and if you get 90% of them, then that
> means there's only 140 people you need to contact about the new password
> you've generated them.

> I suggest grabbing "john the ripper" and trying that in single mode first
> (which should only take a few minutes) and then dictionary mode with a
> largeish dictionary (which I can supply if you want)

Unless the strange (and unknown) hashing routine that the previous
administrators have used is supported by john then I'm not sure this
will be successful.  You would also have to pad the password file out
into /etc/passwd format although this obviously isn't a big job.

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C