[plug] newbie, adsl, and linux internet sharing queries

Ari Finander Outrider at operamail.com
Mon May 21 18:12:41 WST 2001

My reasons for upgrading to cat5/hub are ease of using the network with the
laptop 1) because its docking station is cat5 and 2) I want to use it from my
desk and the bedroom.

Are there pcmcia cards for coax?

Is it possible to put a second network card in my main desktop connecting the
main desktop system to the laptop docking station with a twisted pair cable,
while having the main desktop, wife's desktop, and 486 connected over coax,
and then finally having the 486 connected to the adsl modem via another
twisted pair cable?  This could also solve my problem of connecitng via the
bedroom if I install a second network card in my wife's computer (which is
closer to the bedroom) and string a twisted-pair cable in from there.  I have
extra network cards, so there'll be no extra cost from that point (very good
thing), I won't have to buy as much cabling (another good thing), and as long
as I can plug/unplug the laptop from the network even though it'd be going
through one of the other two computers connected to the coax then it would
seem I'd be okay....right?

TIA,

Ari

>===== Original Message From Simon Scott <simon.scott at flexiplan.com> =====
>	Dont bother..... unless you are copying large files from machine to
>machine, youll never flood 10Mbit coax with ADSL.
>
>	Im still on 10Mbit, and no probs..... unless I copy a CD image
>across the network :)
>
>	BTW, it would be easier to just connect the adsl modem to the
>486......

The Fastest Browser on Earth now for FREE!!
Download Opera 5 for Windows now! Get it at
http://www.opera.com/download/