[plug] Installing RH7.0 BARE minimum

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Fri May 25 07:59:51 WST 2001

Hi Flipper,

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Flipper wrote:
[snip]
> I'm thinking of obliterating my RH6.0 install and attempting RH7.0
> again... only this time installing ABSOLUTE BARE Minimum and using packages
> and binaries to install THE LOT!!!

OK. If the purpose of your day is to learn about Linux from the ground-up, you
may like to explore Linux From Scratch:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

> im REALTIVELY new to linux, is this
> a) a good idea
Always

> b) possible or
Of course!

> c) feasible?
and do-able!

> also if so how do you do a text mode install of RH7.0 from a CD?
I'd grab RH 7.1 (see June APC cover disks) if you want to make this a RH
experience. My suggestion, if you really want to do this the 'complete' way
and have never done it before, is to make a boot-install floppy from the 1st CD
(look in dosutils and images dirs on the CD). Boot the computer from the
floppy, and type "text" at the prompt. Then at the appropriate moments in the
install process, select "Custom install" and "Select individual packages".

HTH,
Steve