[plug] dpkg --set-selections

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Fri May 25 17:26:06 WST 2001

Hello to debian people,

I am currently installing a new debian machine, which will run sid.  I
have installed potato from cd, and I want to upgrade it to sid.  I have
run apt-get update on the new box with an appropriate sources.list, and
copied the contents of /var/cache/apt/archives from the old box to the
new one, to avoid having to download it all again, then run dpkg
--get-selections on an existing debian box, and used the output from
that as input to dpkg --set-selections on the new one.  (I want the same
things installed.)

My question is, how do I now get the new box to install the new list?
There doesn't seem to be a dpkg option to do it.  Will apt-get
dist-upgrade to this?

Thanks
Russell

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
If you live in a country run by committee, be on the committee.
		-- Graham Summer