[plug] email clients

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Mon May 28 17:44:49 WST 2001

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for an alternative email client to netscape, I would like a
> GUI with the facility to check multiple pop3 accounts, also has to run
> under gnome.  I've done a google search and the choice is bewildereing
> so does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> gavin

Gav,

Tony's Recommendation on Balsa is quite good. Otherwise you could go for
evoloution (Outlook style clone). Evoloution is more feature rich than Balsa
but that has probably more to do with its design as a collab/Outlook
replacement (it has calendering/scheduling etc). Both of these are 0.
releases so expect some bugs/things not working properly. I like evoloution
and I am nearly ready to make the switch (from Outlook 2000) once I work out
how to change a few things with its default settings. At the moment I can't
work out how to turn the preview of messages off (my only big winge about it
so far). Mandrake 8.0 comes with recent versions of both these mail clients
(if you run it).

If you don't have any bias against using KDE apps then kmail is not a bad
way to go either.

Michael Hunt
Converting to Evoloution very, very, very, soon.

P.S. I don't know if either of these clients support conversion of Netscape
mailboxes to there own formats.