[plug] RH7.1 kernel rebuild boot problem

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Thu May 31 10:33:54 WST 2001

On 31 May 2001, Bill Kenworthy wrote:

> At least with Mandrake, old-config can get you in a lot of strife.
> 2.2.19 and old-config basicly didnt match what was installed (or rather
> what old-config said was present, and what actually was installed were
> different!) and wouldnt build once make old-config was run.  I have not
> tried since I reset the options manually.  There was at least one other
> Mandrake kernel (on 7.0 I think) which also was unbuildable out of the
> box.

I have to admitt to never having used make oldconfig from a verndor supplied
kernel to a custom built one.  I think this is where the problem is comming
from.  Vendors (all excpet slackware) ship modified kernels.  debian is nice
enough to supply the .config that was used the /boot/config-`uanme -r`
RedHat don't seem to do that tho adn I don't know about other distros.

The key to make oldconfig is that you trust the .config you're useing as your
source.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein