[plug] Apache

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Thu May 31 20:46:18 WST 2001

On Thu, 31 May 2001 20:16, Garry wrote:
> Just read on the Apache web site of a recent break in and root access
> breach.

Some cracker is chortling deeply.  That's at least 3 high profile OS sites
compromised with the one crack.  . o 0 ( Could it be Bill? )

BTW, firewalls may have only been applicable with the initial crack (I don't
know the circumstances behind the sourceforge crack - does anyone?) .  All
the others used ssh with known usernames and passwords to break in. Unless
the sites specifically blocked ssh (or allowed access o known hosts only - a
possibility but no guarantee) then the firewall would have offered little/no
protection.

As always, be vigilant.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about security.  The opinions expressed herein are
the equivalent of listening to a blind numbat - or a windows 9x/NT user -
take your pick.

skribe
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

But Captain -- the engines can't take this much longer!