[plug] Which is the best option to dial up to ISP with Redhat 7.1 as a server to allow LAN access?

Simon Scott Simon.Scott at flexiplan.com
Mon Nov 5 11:53:15 WST 2001

	ok, my advice

	a) Go get a cheap 486/pentium to act as your gateway. This will free
up your PC to be used as a Linux box/Windows box as needed, without dropping
the link without reboots.

	b) setup a dhcp server on the gateway, make sure it also specifies
gateway and dns servers.

	c) Do some simple firewalling on the gateway

	d) Possibly setup a small web cache on the gateway

	e) Setup ip-masquerading on the gateway. This means that any PC on
the lan will be able to use the internet, including your PC and your laptop.

	Setting this stuff up isnt that hard, read through the appropriate
howtos. Dont use gui dialers, most of them are crap. Again, check the
HOWTOs.

	Once you have this setup, just set the clients to 'obtain IP address
automatically' and thats it.