[plug] Traffic Monitoring

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Nov 8 09:54:16 WST 2001

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001 09:27, Travis Read wrote:
> For volume accounting I use ipac:
> http://www.comlink.apc.org/~moritz/ipac.html
> The version I'm using was written to work with ipchains. I'm not sure if
> it'll work with iptables. I've got it to give me a break down of all the
> traffic going through the ppp0 link. It also gives me a sum total and
> e-maill's me the results each night at midnight. It've also got it setup
> to generate a png graph every 30min.
> Check out: http://www.bspark.com.au/~ics/png/
> for an example of the voume accounting graph. I've uploaded the graph from
> my own dialup gateway.

I just set up ipac-ng on my debian box at work, which is the firewall/gateway
(I know its bad, but I don't have a choice). Works wonders. The rules are
sort of counter-intuative in terms on "incoming/outgoing", but not difficult
to write.

I definitely reccomend ipac as, at least, a starting point. If you need more
powerful monitoring, you could move to another system, or write your own
analasys script (all hail perl) for /var/lib/ipac traffic record files.