[plug] opinion of ximian

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Fri Nov 9 13:18:17 WST 2001

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 08:26:48AM +0800, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> It's nice, but the worst thing about it is that you can't run Debian
> testing/unstable with ximian because of a libc6 incompatibility.

As another Debian person, I'll add that running Ximian under Debian has
never been a great idea.  I was using it before it was even called
Ximian, and they have a nasty tendancy to mess up their packaging with
respect to the Debian standards.  It took me quite a lot of effort to
pull out the Ximian packages to upgrade to the newer version of Gnome in
testing.

If you're a Debian person, just use the Gnome stuff in testing (or
unstable, if you're suicidal  :)    It's pretty up to date, but with
much better packaging (and usually less bleeding-edge bugs  :)

--
 Leon Blackwell                | Spoon-feeding, in the long run,
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | teaches us nothing but the shape of