[plug] ping: unknown protocol icmp

Kim Covil Kim.Covil at csiro.au
Fri Nov 9 17:01:38 WST 2001

OK...

has anyone seen this problem and have an idea of what files I am
missing...?

when trying to ping I get the error:

	ping: unknown protocol icmp

when trying to ftp I get the error:

	ftp: ftp/tcp: unknown service

I am trying to build up a bare essentials root file system file by file
so it is very likely I am just missing a file or a setting... or maybe a
library...

ldd shows both executables have all the libraries they are looking
for... I have a /etc/protocols with lines for icmp and tcp and have a
/etc/services with ftp in...

Cheers

Kim

Kim Covil - CSIRO Exploration & Mining  E-mail:  kim.covil at csiro.au
,-_!\
            PO Box 1130, Bentley,       Direct:  +61 8 6436 8638    /
\
            Western Australia  6102     Fax:     +61 8 6436 8555
*_,-._/
        Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at covil.com.au