[plug] [OT] Wierd problem

Brian Tombleson brian at paradigmit.com.au
Sat Nov 10 20:26:39 WST 2001

Just thought I'd ask to see if anyone can help with this one.

A friend runs a regional ISP and they want to run a games server and have a
debian potato box running the newer wolfenstien game (Quake3 engine?).

They have 2 Cisco access boxes (AS5200 and AS5300) and a Cicso 2611 handling
their upstream and internal routing.

According to a network dump, dial in users (the AS5?00's) are being flooded
with UDP packets during game.  No probelm at all for non-dial-in's (ie.
coming across the net and through the 2611).  In certain parts of the game
the ping times lag out to up to 6 seconds.

We've looked at the linux box and there doesn't seem to be a problem.
They've even loaded the Win2K version on a separate machine and it has the
same problem.  No tweaking of game parameters has any affect at all.

The 2611 *probably* isn't the cause because net-based players don't have the
problem.  Also, there no such problem with any other services - just the
game.  Likely problem area is the 5?00 access boxes, but there's nothing
obvious to try.

Anyone got any advice, pointers or solutions for this?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Brian.