[plug] ex-Dialup Server

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Nov 12 17:13:54 WST 2001

On Monday 12 November 2001 14:43, Aaron W wrote:
> Is it possible to route smb [...] so I could see the incoming
> computer via Network Neighbourhood

Uh, ``Don't try suicide, nobody's worth it...'' (-:

You can run a VPN to someone else's network, and as long as you agree on a
WINS server it seems to more or less work, but opening SMB to the outside
world would pretty much guarantee the death of your Windows boxen on day one.

I put a client company onto a new never-before-used IP address today, and
they were SMB-scanned within minutes.

As to IPX, I'm betting your and their ISPs won't route it at all. However
(sorry, no URL) there are IPX-over-TCP proxies for this very purpose. I
suspect that it won't be much chop for interactive gaming, though. The reason
for using IPX is that it's faster than TCP.

Cheers; Leon