[plug] remote control of a server

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Nov 14 08:32:06 WST 2001

On Tuesday 13 November 2001 21:34, Bernard wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 09:19:42PM +0800, Alan Graham wrote:
>> I've recently put my firewall in a place that's hard to get at,
>> physically. This means I have to move it around to connect a monitor and
>> keyboard to it if there's any boot problems.  Is there any way round
>> this?

> One of the kernel compile options is something along the lines of
> "Console on serial port" under Character Devices IIRC. I've never
> done this but last time I looked most of the required details are in
> help. This should start you out.

Define a getty in /etc/inittab for the serial line as well. It doesn't get
you back to the bios, but you see everything else. IIRC, even LILO has
options for this. If not, now is your chance for fame and glory. (-:

There is a mono video card with a serial port on it that will give you
*everything* from reset onwards, but I don't remember the brand or anything.

Cheers; Leon