[plug] smb

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Nov 14 09:37:15 WST 2001

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, russ powers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using smb to share drives on a linux machine
> (suse7.2). From win2000 The drive can be read but not
> written: "Access is denied"

If I understand you correctly:
You linux box (Suse) is exporting /smb_mounts/backup as a samba share called
"backup".  From the windows client you can read data in that directory but
writing always fails with: "Access is denied"

> smb.conf
> [backup]
>    comment = Public Stuff
>    path = /smb_mounts/backup
>    public = yes
>    writable = yes
>    printable = no
>
> [linux2]
>    comment = Public Stuff
>    path = /linux2
>    public = yes
>    writable = yes
>    printable = no
>
> So I assume smb is working? Maybe it is the mount of
> the drive in fstab?
>
> /dev/hdb1  /smb_mounts/backup  vfat  defaults   1   2
> /dev/hdb2  /linux2             ext2  defaults   1   2
>
> Any suggestions?

Probably, uou need to specify on the mount for "/smb_mounts/backup" to ensure
that users can write to it.

mount -t vfat -o,rw,gid=100,umask=007 /dev/hdb1 /smb_mounts/backup

Can the account that the win2k user is using actually write to that filsystem
when on the local machine (thereby eleminating samba from the equation)

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */