[plug] smb

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Nov 14 14:22:08 WST 2001

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 09:42:44AM +0800, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
> Yes with samba as a PDC you can do domain logons.  win2k will drop back to
> "legacy mode" and treat the samba box as if it were NT 4.0.  You have almost
> all the features needed to run the environment.  The main one that is lacking
> is the equivilent of "Power Users".  I'm not a samba expert so I don't know
> why it can't be done.  I just know that it isn't available in any version of
> samba.

Agreed. This is the issue that I have lost about a week on trynig to get a
Windows Accounting Software package to work; it needs "Power Users", and
Samba can only give "Users" or "Administrators". Yep, only two groups
available. This is, as Tony said, a known issue; its mentioned throughout
the samba-technical mailing list archives. If you can live without
Power Users, as I am trying to do (track down registry keys and change
their security on each machine, plus path permissions), then you should
be fine. But most users should only be "Users" anyway.

> I recommend the current 2.2.2 tree of samba, it rocks.

*nod*
  James

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to