[plug] Mandrake Single Network Firewall

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Nov 15 06:41:34 WST 2001

On Wednesday 14 November 2001 21:08, Joel Fraser wrote:
> Hi i have just installed the Mandrake Single Network Firewall, and i am
> trying to configure it. I can ping it from my windows box but cant open
> the webpage when i goto it in IE, but when i am on the linux box i can use
> lynx and view the webpage. Does anyone know of some help
> site/pages/docs/plug members etc that are out that can help me with this
> problem, as i cannot seem to find any on the mandrake site.

Do netstat -tanp and see where the webserver is listening. 0.0.0.0:port means
listening to everywhere, and n.n.n.n:port means listening to a specific
interface, for example 127.0.0.1:443 means that there is a secure HTTP
listener on the local (loopback) interface only. You may need to use https:
(port 443) instead of http: (port 80) to access it, or it may only be
listening on the local interface, or it may be configured with a safe default
firewall that lets nothing in, at which point your next logical move would be
to use a browser on the box to open the firewall for local web requests.

OTOH, maybe it rightfully recognises IE as insecure and is refusing to reply
to it. (-:

Cheers; Leon