[plug] Uni Course - UWA or Curtin?

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Thu Nov 15 18:00:43 WST 2001

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 05:36:11PM +0800, Andrew Simmonds wrote:
> Okay, I was wondering what people here reccommend that have studied or
> are currently studing these courses.
> Also what degree of integration/exposure do these courses have with
> linux and which would be most helpful to get a good job?
>
> I'm basically looking at the following courses:
[ snip ]
> UWA Computer Science
> UWA Software Engineering

Um - well, I don't know if things have changed recently, but when I was
studying in the UWA CS dept (early to mid nineties), "computer science" and
"information technology" were the two main unit categories - so you could
major in computer science or information technology (or both).

Software engineering was the name of a third year unit (under the IT
"stream"), not of a course/stream in itself.

> Thanks
> Andrew Simmonds

Regarding qualities of the current UWA CS dept, I think it best to let
others answer as my knowledge would definitely be waaaay out of date. :)

I have heard that the UWA CS dept has a lab or two of dual-boot
Windows/Linux machines for student use.

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/

--
Klingon programmer sayings:
3. "A TRUE Klingon Warrior does not comment his code!"