[plug] Cost of Windows

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Nov 16 09:53:21 WST 2001

On 16 Nov 2001, Grahame Bowland wrote:

> The only thing Linux doesn't do so well is thin-client stuff. I've heard
> about this being used around the place. The sunray stuff doesn't use
> plain old X, and I've seen it running > 10 terminals on a 10Mb hub with
> full responsiveness. X kills 10Mb, you'd want a 100Mb switched network
> and even then it would be slower.

Or you could use VNC.  Personally I've run VNC (in inetd mode) spawning
win4lin, had word,excel and corel 9.0 runing over a 56k modem.
I'm not claiming it was _fast_ but it was useable.

Usingng VNC means that you clinet OS is irellivent (sp?), they even have a
Java client that will work from most browsers.

> Of course, if you want to avoid the MS tax on the desktop just install
> ICAclient on a bunch of Linux boxen, and then let them use your Citrix
> server :-)

Hmmm, hadn't heard of that.  Mind you citrix is expensive.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */