[plug] Cost of Windows

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Nov 16 13:44:53 WST 2001

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Brad Campbell wrote:

> I assume that is much faster than just using win4lin and X across the modem?
> Can you give us a quick rundown on how you have it setup?

Yeah much faster then X (or lbx).   To be honnest I dumped the install when
the project wasn't taken up.

The long and the short of it was:
Install vnc and inetvnc
Get win4lin runing as user joe_blow
Setup Xdm's {Give,Take}Console type files to use vnc.
Add an entry to your xdm (I was using kdm) such that one of the sessions
was windows.
Add entries to /etc/services
and also to /etc/inetd.conf
Each line tells VNC what res and bit depth to run at etc etc then spawn
inetvnc

Then any incomming connections on those ports would spawn an XDM and You
logged in and it ran win4lin for you.

I think I still have the old notes I made during the install.  If you're
interested I can try to dig them up ???  Should be somewhere on CD.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */