[plug] iinet and spam

Daniel cottmain at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 16 14:04:47 WST 2001

Hi Plug, I wrote just now about Tagged Message Delivery Agent as a possible
solution to spam. (http://software.libertine.org/tmda/ )
I forgot to mention that I asked support at iinet if they would help - this
is their reply:

"If you wish to install TMDA on your machine and use it as a mail server iiNet
has no problems with this.  However we do not have it installed on our mail
server and their is no plans to install this application at this point and
time."

Surely if I had a permanent connection with a fixed ip running a mail
server I might not need or want their e-mail service at all.

Would I be wrong in thinking that besides stopping their systems being used
for mail relay - they have no concerns about users receiving spam and if
pressed would probably just suggest the deletion method, or am I jumping to
conclusions?

Wouldn't all ISPs benefit from reduced mail traffic and happier users if
they had something like tmda to bounce back unwanted e-mails?
Isn't there a commercial benefit in it for them?  What am I missing?

Regards,
Daniel.