[plug] Uni Course - UWA or Curtin?

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Sun Nov 18 12:43:57 WST 2001

On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 04:19:58PM +0800, Jonathon Bates wrote:
> > The situation is similar at Murdoch. I'm not saying that there aren't
> > any, but none of the labs I've seen so far are even duel boot. All NT.
> > The only exposure to Linux up to the end of second year (BSc CS) is in
> > the data comms unit (booted from an LS120 disk in the labs) and the
> > Internet computing unit (where server side development is done on a Red
> > hat server via telnet\ssh). From what I have been able to discover about
> > third year units offered, there are a number that deal with network and
> > concurrent programming and advanced Internet programming that seem to
> > deal primarily with Linux\Unix (supposedly through telnet\ssh from an NT
> > box). We shall see.
>
> Murdoch does indeed have dual boot systems. Look in hte Science and
> Computing labs (where you would have done B229 and Databases)
> The 3rd uyear units are done from these boxes. Im in the coding stream so
> I dont really hvae to worry about it.
> Im sure Christian or Paul could fill you in quite a bit better!

Actually, the previous poster is correct.  Murdoch doesn't have any
duel-boot machines.  It has a dedicated Linux lab in the S&C building.
To my knowledge this is used for B338, B310 and B339/B228 (my unit).
All these units cover Unix/Linux exclusively.

With regards to Murdoch covering very little C, the language is
introduced in B106 (as previously noted) and if you do B310 you get
quite a bit of exposure to C programming, specifically under Unix.
While personally I think Murdoch could do to have more C coverage, at
the end of the day it's a very simple language to learn (at least in
theory) because most of the complexity and functionality is built into
various libraries and not in the core language itself.  Teach people the
core language and how to interact with the libraries then they will be
able to adapt fairly quickly to any specific API they find themselves
using.

--
DSA 0x0EC1D28C: BBCB 0D79 4EBB 078A A066  7267 8BED E9D6 0EC1 D28C