[plug] Uni Course - UWA or Curtin?

Greg Mildenhall assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Mon Nov 19 10:59:09 WST 2001

On 17 Nov 2001, Andrew Simmonds wrote:
> From what I have summarised Curtin seems to offer the most practical and
> hands on type approach that is more suited to the real world job type
> scenarios

No, ECU goes considerably further in that direction.

> whereas I have interpreted that UWA offers a more community type
> approach and is closely knit group

That is still the case, but becoming less so, I'm afraid.

> UWA also seems to be alot more theory which in the end may not be as
> useful once in a real world scenario.
> I'm really in a state of question as to what specific technology I could
> branch out into.

So you don't want the theory and you don't know what specifics you want?
That could be a problem. If you really don't know what technologies you
want to work with, then you're probably better off biting the bullet and
taking a more theoretical course until you know where you want to head.
When you change technologies, the theory is still going to be with you,
but the details you have learnt about other technologies are wasted.

> I'm quite good at several aspects of computer science already.
> I've already taught myself c++ from books

Error: incompatible assertions. :)

> Scuse me for my inadequate definition of a good job. When I talk about a
> good job I am mostly referring to one that pays well :P

Then without question you should do MIS or Commerce/IT.

> What has been said about SoftEng was quite useful, I basically thought
> that programming was only taught indepth in software engineering.
> Since it is in CompSci as core units and electrical engineering is
> basically tacked onto the side of the side of a CompSci for SoftEng

I don't think you'll find any electrical engineering in either, really.
If you want to do that, do an EE degree, or an EE/CS double-major.

> theres only one option for myself: Curtin CompSci.

Be warned that this will be more theoretical than the Soft Eng option,
something you said earlier you wanted to avoid.

-Greg