[plug] Universities and the pecking order

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 20 07:06:28 WST 2001

Easiest book to get people up and running has to be "Setting up a Linux
Intranet Server - Visual Black Book"
(Coriolis Press www.coriolis.com ISBN 1-57610-658-7 ~$45)

It shows you step by step, how to set up a server. Not just here's samba
and all it's config options...(insert blah here..) but Here's how you set
up Samba. Next here's how your configure the samba config file for
different options, then, here's how we set up windows machines to work
with those options and so on.

Instead of the chapters being called "Samba" or such-like, the chapters
called "Using Linux As a Files Server from Windows"
The book is *VERY* task oriented, rather than package oriented.

It even talks about setting up network cards to run in windows 9x)

Vote 1 "Linux Intranet Server" for Newbie MVP ^_^

Regards,
Craig Foster