[plug] Universities and the pecking order

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Tue Nov 20 10:39:47 WST 2001

Richard,

On Monday 19 November 2001 21:48, Richard Hardy wrote:
[multiple snippings to perhaps get to the nub]

> ....plug list largely incomprehensible.....
> ....computer science degree...... is required, in order to
> understand the lingo, and connect with the culture.
>

> thought.....all one needed to participate in the Linux Revolutionary
> Movement was a  moderate intelligence, goodwill, enthusiasm, adequate
> personal hygiene and a willingness to learn.

> ....smidgen of exclusiveness. From there it is not a huge leap to the
> uplands ofelitism.
>

> Big disappointment....hoped to go further and ease my way into the innards
> and intricacies of Linux.....Possibly with some fraternal help from a list
> like plug.....

> RTFM....not helpful to a beginner, who wants to know which
> FM, and where to find it

> So, is there a list or site more appropriate for newbies? (That
> pejorative, patronizing, head-patting, down-putting, condescending term
> of endearment) Where does one begin?

You sound bitterly disappointed (and exasperated?) that your expectations of
the PLUG list (Linux?) have not yet been realised. I make a few observations:

A quick look through the PLUG archives at http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/
(hint) suggests that you have made exactly one post to the list using the
name/email address supplied in this post. I don't know if you've posted
questions using a pseudonym or different email address, but it appears you
haven't as yet asked any questions of the people on the list.

I also note from the email address supplied that you appear to be either a
student or graduate of UWA, so are probably skilled in self-directed
learning. With respect to any new operating system that's a Good Thing (TM).
I've certainly needed to be with every new OS I've learnt over the years.
....."Answers".....I usually don't even know the right questions with a new
system.

I agree that a terse "RTFM" is not always a very useful response to
'beginning' questions that are asked, however my experience of PLUG (meaning
the online list and the PLUG meetings) is that "RTFM" is seldom, if ever, the
sole response to a question no matter how 'beginning' it may be.

PLUG is a loose-knit community of people who share a common interest in
Linux. Some are professionals, some are not. Some use Linux for work and
profit, others use it for fun just to experience an alternative to the usual
Wintel/Mac OS offerings. Some use Linux because they can't afford the latest
hardware, nor expensive software licenses, and some because they believe in
using and contributing to Open Source software development. I'm sure there
are many other reasons (--perhaps grist for another poll skribe??).
My point is that with the diversity of people in PLUG, there will always be
threads on the PLUG mailing list which are not immediately useful or are
incomprehensible to anyone but those following the threads. I choose to
either skip those threads, or become involved by asking stupid questions or
posting my own 5 cents worth.

So you asked (presumably as someone fairly new to Linux) "Where does one
begin?". People have already suggested a number of interrelated start points:

- the PLUG meetings (see http://www.plug.org.au for meeting details)
- Books (bookshops like Boffins, Rellim, Dymocks in the Wesley Centre;
or borrow)
- the HOWTO's on your install CD's
- man pages
- http://www.google.com/linux

and a few online specifics not yet mentioned:

- Linux Online: http://www.linux.org/

- Linux Documentation Project: http://www.linuxdoc.org/ Especially:
The Linux System Administrators' Guide:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/sag/book1.html
The Network Administrators' Guide: http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/nag/node1.html

- Linux Administrator's Security Guide: http://www.seifried.org/lasg/

- Linux Gazette: http://www.linuxgazette.com/
- Linux Journal Resources: http://www.linuxjournal.com/resources.php

My brother gave me some advice once which is generally applicable and which
I've found particularly useful in learning to speak Linux. I hesitate passing
it on here because advice-giving sounds condescending, I don't mean it to be.
Use or discard as you wish:

"Strive to systematically learn just one new thing every day. After 12
months, you'll be an 'expert'."

You won't see me at this Monday's meeting, but I plan to be at the AGM in
December. Perhaps I'll meet you there? Maybe we'll correspond on-list....

Regards,
Steve