[plug] announce IP address for dial-in user

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Tue Nov 20 16:23:28 WST 2001

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Ben Jensz wrote:

> But the problem is that the person dialling in can't access any of the other
> computers on the local LAN.  Basically it can send packets to machines on
> the network, but the computers on the LAN don't know where to send the
> packets back to because they can't see this user hanging off of a modem on
> the gateway box.  At the moment I've got the dial-in user setup to have an
> IP address on the same network as the local LAN,

Tell mgetty to run pppd with the "proxyarp" option.
(or just put it in /etc/ppp/options)

proxyarp tells pppd to tell linux to respond to arp requests for the
dial-in user, so the other machines know where to send the data.

 or would it be better to
> put the dial-in user on a different network, so by default it should goto
> the gateway machine (which is the dial-in box and Samba box) and then enable
> WINS on Samba?

That would work too, but the proxyarp method is neater IMHO

 - Matt