[plug] shared libperl - success thanks

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 22 21:17:02 WST 2001

Hello.

Thanks to Matt and Michael for their suggestions last night.  I had a look
at the ActiveState Perl documentation and it seemed to me they were not
supporting shared library out-of-the-box.  Rather they were supporting the
new 5.6 release of perl.

I followed Matt's advice and grabbed the source from UWA's Debian mirror
but woody's perl source seemed to point to potato's.  Since it was there
complete with a diff file I grabbed them, applied the diff and built it
with shared support.  The bottom line is that it retains it's
"potato" characteristic so unlikely to be problems down the track.

During the build, an error was flagged in the test suite but reading
through the doco suggests this failure is not serious.  Michael, if I am
in error about ActiveState's not having .so out of the box please correct
me.  It might be good to have the 5.6 series code eventually.

Now to get PostgreSQL compiling happily with perl support!

Many thanks,
Denis