[plug] upgrade libc

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Nov 27 08:56:47 WST 2001

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Rob Dunne wrote:

> Hi list,
>        How can  I safely upgrade libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.1.2) on a
> RH 6.1 machine to libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.1.3) or higher.
>
> I have tried several ways -- but they all left the machine
> inoperative, and had to be fixed with a rescue disk.

That depends, If there are RPMS's for 6.X of the Glibc you want to upgrade to
then you can just install them.  RPM will take care of the rest.

If there are RPMS for 7.x and you want to try and use them then you can use
rpm2cpio somthing.rpm > something.cpio
rpm -qp --scripts something.rpm
this will show you what RedHat will do during the install you should do
similar.

I can't say I've ever done a libc upgrade that wasn't part of the disto

You should be able to put all the libraries in place and then use
cd /lib
/bin/ls -sf libc-2.1.3.so libc.so.6

Hang on I'm running 6.1 one here and I have libc-2.1.3.so, so there must be
RPMS for it,  Yeah just grab
glibc*2.1.3-22*i386.rpm
and do rpm -Fvh glibc*2.1.3-22*i386.rpm

Should be easy.  I recomend that you grab all the 6.X updates and run them
on your machine.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein