[plug] PostgreSQL and PHP

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Nov 29 09:03:45 WST 2001

On Thursday 29 November 2001 08:44, Arkem wrote:
>> php-pgsql works fine both embedded and CGI; it ships with Mandrake
>> and RedHat, and presumably SuSE, Caldera etc. I run a dynamic DNS
>> (you do need to recompile BIND with a better pgsql driver than it
>> ships with) on it. What distribution are you using?

> Thanks, unfortunatley I'm using Debian unstable, so it doesn't apply
> too much. Though I'm assuming that this means that there is code
> available so at worst I'll just have to find the source for the
> libraries or whatever and compile them. There are a couple of
> relevant packages in Debian, one seems to be postgresql for the cgi
> interpreter and the rest seem to be for mysql.

Mandrake 8.1 ships with PHP sub-modules for gd (graphics), IMAP (email), LDAP
(directory), pgsql (postgres), mysql (guess?) and readline. I would be
surprised if Debian didn't support at least these. I know that there are many
others; the PHP manual and FreshMeat mention a gazillion other databases
(SAP/DB, Oracle, DB2), secure transaction systems, dBase file manipulation,
Flash and PDF output, and so on.

Cheers; Leon