[plug] Debian upgrade

Kim Covil Kim.Covil at csiro.au
Fri Nov 30 13:51:38 WST 2001

On Fri, 2001-11-30 at 13:33, sol wrote:
> Being the impatient, inquisitive sort, I decided that I wanted to
> upgrade to Woody immediately rather than wait any longer. I've read
> available documentation from debian.org but I just have one nagging
> doubt - it just seems a little too easy.
> As I understand it, all I have to do is change my apt/sources.list to
> make all the sources point to unstable. eg:
> was: ftp.uwa.edu.au stable/main Release
> becomes: ftp.uwa.edu.au unstable/main Release

unstable = sid
testing = woody

> Then it's just "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade". Then
> go make a cup of coffee.
> Is that it? It seems just a little to simple to be believed. Or perhaps
> I've misunderstood something?

That's about it... though it might ask you some questions along the way
depending on what packages you have installed and what differences there
are between the config files you have and the ones you need for the new
versions...

Cheers

Kim
Kim Covil - CSIRO Exploration & Mining  E-mail:  kim.covil at csiro.au
,-_!\
            PO Box 1130, Bentley,       Direct:  +61 8 6436 8638    /
\
            Western Australia  6102     Fax:     +61 8 6436 8555
*_,-._/
        Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at covil.com.au