[plug] Debian upgrade

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri Nov 30 14:23:28 WST 2001

At 13:42 30/11/01 +0800, Sol wrote:
>Thanks Kim,
>
>Thanks for the quick note of reassurance. This Deb newbie is quickly
>becoming enamoured of the .deb PM system.

My first intro to Linux was Debian a couple of years ago and I, too, was
impressed by the ease with which upgrades were undertaken.  The apt system
has improved also over time (I started with the dselect and the hamm
release.)  One thing which I find useful is the --simulate
option.  Basically it will let you know what it intends to alter so that
you can consider this at your ease.  dselect seems to have been much
maligned but I sometimes use it for fine-tuning an installation.

And at 14:09 30/11/01 +0800, Anthony wrote asking about other mirrors...
I think the UWA mirror is available outside of UWA.  Try ftp.uwa.edu.au as
per Sol's original posting.

For example
deb ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au/mirrors/linux/    and so forth.

HTH,
Denis