[plug] md5sum

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 1 21:18:14 WST 2001

For those who use "md5sum -b /dev/cdrom" for checking their CD's:

I came across a reference to going through the md5sum process twice when
checking floppy images to flush a cache somewhere.  I found through
experiance today, that possibly the same thing exists with a CD - in two
cases the md5sum failed the first time and worked afterwards, unless I
changed the CD.

So if you get a failure and it looks like it should have gone alright
(no burn errors), try md5sum a second time.  I would be interested if
this is widespread because checking CD's seems to come up often on mail
lists, and often people seem to not be able to get a clean md5sum, as
happened to someone on this list recently.

BillK