[plug] connection problems

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue Oct 2 18:37:42 WST 2001

Okay gang, got a real problem that has been bugging us for quite some time.  We have a RH7.1 server (ServerA) dialing into another RH7.1 server (ServerB).  Connection is okay, on ServerA we have about 15 users sending and receiving emails by leaps and bound (in other words ... heaps) and web browsing.  ServerB is doing nothing more than routing to ServerA.  SeverA is dialed to the internet, it too has quite a few users doing the same, sending, receiving emails and web browsing.
The problem is after about 15 minutes or so ServerA stops receiving emails and the users cannot send e-mails and they get the message that the SMTP sever cannot be found.  Looked in /var/messages and there is nothing indicating any kind of problem.  I've noticed that I cannot ping the dial-up connection to the other ServerB nor route anymore.  If I kill the processes for ppp and pppd and restart the services and dial-up everything is okay for another half hour or so.
Is there a method of checking what is causing the problem?  I've put a sniffer on the network and the packets looks okay (correct size, ack packets, etc).
Any ideas?

Thanks

Jon L. Miller, MCNE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby