[plug] ia64 linux = P4? & general Q re speed and if anyone has tried it

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 12:34:17 WST 2001

Yes, it's the Itanium processor and yes, it's 64 bit. AMD are soon to
release a 64 bit chip too.

As for speed, the chips is supposed to be around the same as a similarly
clocked P3/P4 for normal applications but a lot faster for optimised
programmes. This is due to its new EPIC architecture (Explicitly Parallel
..... something or other!), which departs completely from intel's former
RISC architecture.