[plug] Sound

Adrian Woodley AWoodley at IINet.net.au
Wed Oct 3 19:35:54 WST 2001

G'Day,
   I was wondering if anyone's had expirience recording sound under
linux? I've been trying to put some tapes on CD, but I can even get my
soundcard to record anything. Well, thats not strickly true - it records
a steady tone. It replays sounds fine and I can control the volume of
the line-in, but getting sound into a file escapes me. I've tried sox,
Gnome Sound recorder (a front end for sox I believe) and cat /dev/dsp >
test.au - all with the same result.

It could well be my soundcard - a dodgy onboard one based on a VIA
chipset. I've looked through the docs for OSS but have not found any
issues with the particular module (via82cxxx_audio.o). I do recall in
about kernel version 2.4.2/3 there were some notes about unimplemented
features of the chipset, such as recording, but I've been unable to
locate this again. Perhaps a hardware upgrade would be in order? If so,
whats people oppinions on what card to buy?

Cheers,

Adrian Woodley

Manager,
Diskworld Computer and IT