[plug] ISPs that support Linux

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Oct 10 13:12:40 WST 2001

Folks

After talking about ISPs and their Linux awareness (or otherwise) last
night, I've suggested to Mr Skribe :) that I start a regular survey.
Internet.au magazine are apparently going to start listing ISPs again (they
stopped for a bit) but my quest is to know that support requests will have
better outcomes than:

Linux user:         "I believe your DNS may be down"
ISPScript1:         "Reboot and reload Windows usually fixes it."
ISPScript2:         "We don't offer support to non windows users <click>"
ISPConfused:      "What coloured box is that, do you know ?"
ISPOutToLunch:  "What's DNS ?"
(Thanks Leon)

So, to speed my list along, could I have peoples reply (off-list) about
their ISP and some idea of their Linux awareness on a scale of sucks to
outstanding ? Tell me _when_ your last interaction engendered this view
since the staff turnover may have shifted them to unsucky or less than
brilliant. Refreshing the data will mean work but I'll see if I can start
it and keep up.

Tony B-T need not reply because I'm aware that Cantech support for Linux is
extremely excellent (If This Was Spinal Tap would it be an 11 ?) ;)

My cunning plan is to request specific information about the ISP's
suitability for Linux users and to maintain the information on the plug
site. I may try for specific named support people and their office hours.
You never know, we may engender a hero culture for support staff with real
knowledge that has a positive outcome on their renumeration and thus will
be a bad/good influence on others less skilled ... thinks .. especially if
they receive a thank you email everytime they provide good Linux support.

If all this sounds a tad bolshy then I obvously haven't been blatant enough :)

This has been prompted by being told by my ISP that email was fine (several
hours before it went completely off the air) and that my firewall and other
non windows equipment I had installed meant they would not provide support.
I won't tell you which colour their canine logo is because that would be
giving the game away.

So if you don't mind .. a quick reply (off-list) with names of ISPs and
support people and who are/are not on the clue train marked EXPRESS would
get me started.

cu
Harry