[plug] Building new box. Best bang /$ ?

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Thu Oct 11 23:08:24 WST 2001

"Bob" <bob at contact.omen.com.au> wrote:

> Time for a new machine.
>
> I haven't been keeping up with hardware issues as much as I should so
> I'm a bit in need of pointers. I've been to Toms Hardware and decided
> that an AMD cpu would be the go but I'm finding up to date info an
> current hardware a bit thin on the ground... any good sites? (I'm not
> after the bleeding'est edge stuff, just best bang/$ :)
>
> Any pointers to local retailers pro/con would be appreciated as well.
>
> Thanks.

Bob,

For those looking at mainboard/processor config for a linux box you cant go
past the Linux Buyer's Guide #12 (August 2001). It is based on American
prices but gives you a good indication of what to put together for a Linux
system at both the low, middle and high end of the spectrum.

http://www.thedukeofurl.org/reviews/misc/linuxguide12/printable.shtml

You also can't go past the duke of url's reviews on other subjects (such as
the Linux DVD HOWTO which maybe of interest to others who have posted
recently).

http://www.thedukeofurl.org/reviews.shtml

For a good local supplier of components you can't go past simline
(http://www.simline.com). Excellent service good prices and great gear. As
far as mainboards go I would look no further than the ABIT's. Excellent
board and lots of good feedback from pluggers.

Michael Hunt