[plug] Building new box. Best bang /$ ?

Nathan D natdan at pobox.com
Thu Oct 11 23:17:08 WST 2001

At 10:33 PM 11/10/2001 +0800, Bob wrote:
>Time for a new machine.
>
>I haven't been keeping up with hardware issues as much as I should so
>I'm a bit in need of pointers. I've been to Toms Hardware and decided
>that an AMD cpu would be the go but I'm finding up to date info an
>current hardware a bit thin on the ground... any good sites? (I'm not
>after the bleeding'est edge stuff, just best bang/$ :)
>
>Any pointers to local retailers pro/con would be appreciated as well.

I was in the same position a few months back and followed a thread on this
list that spoke highly of the AMD chip with and ABit m/board.  I picked up
a Duron 800 and the KT7A (no RAID).  With Win '98 I had problems with the
BIOS until I got the latest version and the same with the VIA 4in1
drivers.  RH 7.1 has been 100% stable and Win2k is doing the right thing as
well.
More than likely there are more current m/boards available, but this turned
out well for a value system for me.  Have to love the ABit BIOS as well :)

Suppliers?  Austin's are close for me but Sat's West will have all the
latest prices etc

regards,
   Nathan

.   natdan at pobox.com   .     /     \