[plug] Building new box. Best bang /$ ?

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Oct 12 14:45:16 WST 2001

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Michael Hunt wrote:

> http://www.thedukeofurl.org/reviews/misc/linuxguide12/printable.shtml

Thanks Michael. Its time I too considered an upgrade. It looks like
a Duron 900 or so for a CPU, but I'm not clear on motherboards.
  I would prefer something with sound and ethernet included. No need for
ISA slots.  The article suggested a KT133 chipset.
 Maybe an ASUS A7V-E ($190 austin - no ether?) ?

But what about those motherboards that have more features at a LOWER price?
You know, the all-in-one types. They have less PCI slots, and usually no
AGP slot (Some do, if you want better video). What performance penalty do
you pay though? How much slower is a KL133 chipset than a KT133?
   If they support the Duron 900, but not the latest T-bird, thats fine.
Almost nobody ever upgrades their CPU in an old motherboard.

  Any other factors than performance in comparing the all-in-one mothers?
Reliability? Linx issues? Overclocking facilities?

> For a good local supplier of components you can't go past simline
> (http://www.simline.com). Excellent service good prices and great gear. As

All those <font face="MS Sans Serif" size="1"> tags make it awfully hard
to read. (How can I fix that in netscape?)

--
Mike Holland  <myk at golden.wattle.id.au>
			--==--