[plug] Building new box.

wayne hatari at iinet.net.au
Sat Oct 13 13:27:16 WST 2001

Hello, Aaron et al!

I too am having the same problems on my new AMD Thunderbird system.  For me
it is this....  on a cold boot I get a IPF (invalid page fault) or GPF
(general protection fault) etc - EVERY TIME.  If I leave the hung machine to
sit there (warming up??) for 3 to 5 minutes it will reboot (cold or warm)
without any trouble at all.  This seems to imply the problem is not device
dependent - but HEAT dependent.  ( Don't laugh!  I had a PC once that conked
out after 10 min because the power supply overheated the awkwardly-located
video card.)  I note here that the CPU fan does not settle on a smooth
setting it burps and farts all over the place.  Perhaps it needs to warm up
first?

I was very slack in hurriedly setting my (first-ever, brand-new) system up
with 5 O/Ss.  (Boy with a toy?)  However I had to save data before
scratching the lot.  I haven't found the time to fully rectify it yet.

The issues (in priority order) I have to face eventually will be.....
1.  Very cheap and nasty video card.  (I suspect this is the main source of
trouble.)
2.  The virus scanning did not install cleanly - for reasons that I will not
go into.  (After brief checking and fixes the system mainly IPF's on the
virus program driver.  I removed this today and the CPU is clearly much more
stable - but I haven't been able to cold boot test yet - I do mean "cold".)
A lesser AMD system for my children has never had these problems.  The only
differences between systems are:   the video card, the CPUs and the
(physical) memory sticks.
3.  Device driver incorrect.  I suspect this from the nasty video card, or
m/b drivers.  Experience tells me this is the place to head.
4.  RAM (as outside chance.)

While my system still reboots happily I don't worry.

Although long I hope this gives you some tips.

Kind regards,
wayne.