[plug] cold boot IPF and GPF (was: Building new box)

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sat Oct 13 16:08:59 WST 2001

At 01:27 PM 10/13/2001, wayne wrote:
>Hello, Aaron et al!
>
>I too am having the same problems on my new AMD Thunderbird system.  For me
>it is this....  on a cold boot I get a IPF (invalid page fault) or GPF
>(general protection fault) etc - EVERY TIME.  If I leave the hung machine to
>sit there (warming up??) for 3 to 5 minutes it will reboot (cold or warm)
>without any trouble at all.  This seems to imply the problem is not device
>dependent - but HEAT dependent.  ( Don't laugh!
<snip>

hi wayne

temperature dependent problems like this can be isolated with the trusty
hair dryer and freeze spray trick. you were lucky ! we used to .. <bites
toungue on pre-PC-era chip-level repair war stories>

if you don't have parts to swap over (RAM etc) to find the fault, you could
bring it along to UCC in a fortnight-ish and get people to have a look.
warn me first so I can bring .. TheTools.

harry