[plug] Building new box. Best bang /$ ?

Tim Bowden bowdentj at ses.curtin.edu.au
Sat Oct 13 23:54:47 WST 2001

Bob wrote:

> Time for a new machine.
>
> I haven't been keeping up with hardware issues as much as I should so
> I'm a bit in need of pointers. I've been to Toms Hardware and decided
> that an AMD cpu would be the go but I'm finding up to date info an
> current hardware a bit thin on the ground... any good sites? (I'm not
> after the bleeding'est edge stuff, just best bang/$ :)
>
> Any pointers to local retailers pro/con would be appreciated as well.
>
> Thanks.

A good place to try for comparative hardware reviews is anandtech.com,
especially for m/boards, video, cpu's & such, although reviews are
windows based with only a rare mention of linux performance issues.

For local prices try bestbuy.com.au.  They seem to be cheap although I
haven't bought much from them so not sure what their service is like.

Tim Bowden