[plug] Hardware: RAM questions

Burnt Damper youngman at burntdamper.com.au
Mon Oct 15 11:02:54 WST 2001

G'day people,

Just a few questions I hope you can help me out with...

I have just purchased an Intel ISP 2150 rack mount server - with no RAM.

Here is the deal: It is supposed to take 100Mhz ECC CAS2 SDRAM... but after looking around I find that 133Mhz ECC CAS2 RAM is only about $4 per stick more expensive...

1) Is it correct to assume that the 133Mhz RAM will work in this machine (obviously it will only run at the 100Mhz of the CPU - but will it work as well as effectively as getting the normal 100MHz stuff?)

2) If it would work - is it fair to assume that it would be even more stable - due to the fact that it was designed to run so much faster?

3) Is there any disadvantage of going overboard with memory? I am contemplating putting 2Gb in the machine (I am going to order it from the US and so far it looks like a 512Mb stick here (cost price + 5%) could buy you over 1.5Gb of exactly the same RAM there (full retail) - same manufacturer and all...). - It is only going to act as a web server (In fact I am going to be running a few Post-Nuke sites on it for those involved in the PLUG site...), So it is a major overkill... the question is whether it will pull down performance or increase it?

4) If it makes any difference to the above questions - we will be running Debian with Apache, PHP4, MySQL, and a few other even less significant packages... Regardless of what you answer to this we will prolly stick with Debian but does anyone have an opinion on which linux would be best for use on a web server?

Thanks guys,

Guv.